About Me

My photo
VA college student struggling to balance dreams of fabulosity with the realities of one's wallet. intoxicated by aesthetics, lover of simplicity, master of the last minute deadline, consistently overcaffeinated and overbooked... but wouldn't have it any other way.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Harem Pant: Trend in Review


Over the past two seasons or so, one trend that has surfaced to the near front of the fashion world is harem pants. I first remember spotting harem pants and falling madly in love with them on Ralph Lauren's runway for Spring 09's RTW. The beautiful silks and fabrics swished about the models' legs in such a fantastic way that embodied casual luxury done more successfully than any trend I could remember in a while, and perhaps MOST exciting was how comfortable a trend this promised to be. They are, after all, practically pajama pants!! Naturally, I'd soon realize that in fact, therein lies the danger.

As it turned out, I was tragically disappointed by retail's effort at translating this runway godsend to real life wearability. To this day, I still can't help but be put off by most all harem pants. The slouchy, unkempt appearance of mainstream retail's jersey/cotton versions are nothing compared to runway looks, but who can afford better?? At least for the time being, I put harem pants on a mental trend shelf. I cannot bear to ruin what looks so phenomenal on the models by wearing a tragic version of it myself.

So determined, I did some research on harem pants just to see what I could find. Apparently, the first time the westernized version of this style became popular was in the early 90s by MC Hammer (hm, definitely not looking to channel that era... ) but they actually originate from Turkey. Interesting, but trying to find a flattering version of these pants, especially in the States where we are SO far behind that I'm consistently forced to go online, was near impossible. The rest of the world couldn't wait, obviously---I have it on good authority from a friend who spent a month in Italy this summer and La Petite Fashionista, who's studying abroad, that "everyone" in Europe is taking part in the harem trend, which is evidenced also by the fairly broad selection available at topshop.com.

Well that may be for the Europeans, but I hate wearing anything that "everyone" else has. I had all but given up on this harem trend, thinking to myself that maybe it was one trend that just wasn't meant to be, but then about a week ago these appeared on modcloth.com. I don't know why, but everything just clicked. Their striped pattern is just eclectic enough to be unique from the rest of the harem pants, AND they don't look like I've just rolled out of bed in them (also more affordable at $39.99 than many of topshop's picks). The fashion gods be praised---I put in an order for them last night and can't wait until the mailman rolls up to my door with the find. Until then, I already planned a potential outfit for them and have it for you guys to look at/drool over. Enjoy! Let me know what you think... I'd also love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the harem trend.

Earth Brown

1 comment:

  1. HEY! Loved your blog, is so original and cool, check out ours whenever you want, we invite you to follow it.
    Love,
    A&A

    ReplyDelete