About Me

My photo
VA college student struggling to balance dreams of fabulosity with the realities of one's wallet. intoxicated by aesthetics, lover of simplicity, master of the last minute deadline, consistently overcaffeinated and overbooked... but wouldn't have it any other way.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Best Dressed: 2009 Emmy Awards

My roommate has a certain taste for award shows that I will never understand. She likes to watch them, like really watch them, all the boring bad jokes and awards for people you'll never care about included. Sometimes exciting things happen, which is good because then she'll scream at me to come look and then I can always say that I saw whatever _____ said/did/about/to ______ at the ______s last night. At any rate, the only part I can sit still to watch with her before falling asleep out of desperate boredom is the red carpet coverage, provided that it is on mute, because Ryan Seacrest really gets to me sometimes. This year's Primetime Emmy Awards were very strange to me--we saw a lot of black gowns, which I think is unusual because the Emmy's usually generate color, and also a lot of the younger girls were jaw-droppingly over-done (cough HaydenBlake cough). The drama was best left this year to the experienced actresses. Here are my picks for best dressed.

all photos credit of fab sugar

Drew Barrymore looked phenomenal in a rosy, blush colored Monique Lhullier gown. Although several girls showed up with a severe red lipstick thing going on, I appreciate that the only thing even noticeable about Drew's makeup is the lip shade. Hayden Panettiere, on the other hand, could have toned it down a notch. Drew's hair was also softly swept back off her face and shoulders in a way that seemed uncomplicated and romantic, which contributed well to the overall atmosphere of her dress, and she kept her jewelry simple so that it wouldn't compete--whoever styles her does a fabulous job. One of my favorite things about Drew Barrymore's sense of style is that she is usually unafraid to take risks, which you can see in this dress because a lot of girls would be wary about the shade---but she pulls it off. Kudos to Drew.



all photos credit of fab sugar

I ADORE this dress; it's probably what I would have worn had I been in Jen's shoes. A very sunny yellow Max Azria, there isn't a thing about it that I don't like. I love the way it fits her so well in the bodice, the way it skims the red carpet gracefully at just the right length, and the way it complements her skin tone. My only complaint about the entire look is her hair. It is so curling iron-y. I mean if she did it herself then mad props to the girl, but I know she's paying someone to do it--if you're paying them what I think you're paying them, it might be nice to have the final product give off the air that you're not paying anyone at all. The whole point of having a beauty team behind you is that when all is said and done, if everything is executed properly you should look amazingly effortless and natural. But those curls? Meh. They look like they took her ten minutes in front of the mirror while her date was waiting downstairs with the corsage, if you know what I'm saying. Other than that, dress well done.

What do you think of Jen and Drew's looks--or was your pick for best dressed different? And how do you feel about Jen's hair??

No comments:

Post a Comment